These are yummy. Beans are total winners (high in complex carbs, full of vitamins and minerals, good for protein, low fat and cholesterol free). Make a big batch of this and keep it in the fridge. If you like spicy food, up the hot sauce. Eat with grilled fish or roast chicken, avocado, fresh chopped tomato and coriander, or in wholemeal wraps with roasted veg and crumbled feta; or with poached eggs, tomatoes and avocado for an anytime breakfast.
- 1 small onion, chopped up
- 3 gloves garlic, minced/chopped
- 2 cans black beans (including the liquid in the cans)
- 2 teaspoons cumin or smoked paprika
- Half to 1 tablespoon hot sauce (sriacha) depending on taste
- fresh coriander to garnish (if liked)
- Gently fry the onion and garlic in olive or coconut oil until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Tip in both cans of black beans including the salty water in the cans, plus an extra half a can of cold water, add spices and hot sauce.
- Stir, cover, bring to the boil, then reduce heat and cook slowly, stirring every few minutes and then more towards the end, when all the liquid has disappeared – about 15-20 minutes.